Sunday, October 5, 2014

Entry #10: Children can be the Change!

One day, while talking with my 7 (almost 8) year old daughter Amaya, my mind began to drift while I was listening. Once in awhile I tend to daydream and space off in my own thoughts. With all of the recent topics we have been discussing in my English 101 class, an idea occurred to me. 
Most of us raise our children to know the difference between right and wrong, to use manners and be respectful. As adults, we try to instill the tools children will need in the real world to survive in the job market. But I began thinking, what if we, the adults, kept a journal of everything that we should have done differently, or ideas that we want our kids to remember down the road. 
I'm sure the thought has crossed your mind that if only these young adults understood what we went through. Sometimes stories get lost in translation, and change over time. With the internet, this problem has diminished greatly, but is still a problem due to the amount of false information. 
Back to my idea...a book, or journal sort of thing, of important topics and problems that are encountered throughout the time of raising our little people. Amaya is too young now to worry her with all that I worry about, but, there's a lot to learn down the road, perhaps around the age of 20. Teenagers are so wrapped up in themselves that they wouldn't benefit, and I believe that the 20 something  year olds would appreciate a bit more all that was done for them to give them the life they have. Or, maybe inspire them to be the voice of change and do something truly great and amazing with their life! We all hope for this, so why not help them on their way. 
It' funny when I hear my mom tell me all the horrible stuff I encountered as a child, yet I still survived. No car seats, lead in paint, and don't even get me started on the ball pits at indoor playgrounds. Look at how far and advanced we have come in fixing these problems, and just imagine what it would be like for our children in 20 years. I can't even predict. I do, however, hope that technology has not completely taken over the human race. I hope that the pink slime will only mean a melted piece of bubble gum, and that my daughter would be moved by the time I took to write her a journal of all the things I would want different for her and her children in the future. 
 
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." -Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment